Monday, August 04, 2008

Original Introduction/Okie

Found the original introduction halfway through the note book.
Thats a good place for an introduction.
Figured it was worth throwing this up here regardless.

Introduction to Candystripers (Candystripers was the original title).

All these stories are voices of experience within the hospital. Although we are neither hardened physicians nor hardworking nurses, we do spend large quantities of time (each shift is 12 hours) with patients and their families. These are our stories. All names and initials have been changed to protect the individual patients and their families. In place we have given them humorous nicknames.

Meh.
Reads like the intro to Law and Order.

Feeling particularly generous so im gonna post a big 2 parter today.

Okie

This shift has been really too different from any other shift. The start of the shift was amusing enough having run into a fellow who was wearing a supertramp shirt (supertramp for the record, fucking rule, seriously) and had no clue how to navigate through the hospital. My fellow has a trumpet instead of a traech and it makes things difficult to understand. To make matters worse his handwriting is attrocious and sometimes incoherent.

One nurse came in with a flashlight and he went beserk, as if the nurse was an invader from that game nighttrap. His nurse is alright except she doesnt seem to like it when i start asking questions about medication (IE "Do most patients get ativan?" "Most doctors give it" "So i guess its a cure all, huh?") or about their jobs in general ("Do you guys do alot of paperwork? Hows that?")

They do seem to give out alot of ativan though, seriously. I wonder if half the patients become washed up clothing designers and go straight to Betty Ford.

What?!

Well after trying to yank out all of his tubes consecutively theyve dosed him up with some morphine and hes definitely more placid. I hope for his sake he can sleep soon. He seems to be enamoured with the flashing light on the smoke alarm. Its like hes hyptonized or a deer caught in headlights.


SeeqPod - Playable Search

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

My name is Brian Lane and i would like to show you my personal experience with Ativan.

I am 30 years old .I started taking this drug about 10 years ago to help with some pretty bad anxiety and depression I was having at the time. I started taking a 1mg dose twice a day 1 in morning and 1 before bed. I tapered myself down to .5mg twice a day and then finally was able to get off it for about 3 months this year. I just started taking it in .5mg doses again due to the anxiety and depression resurfacing after 10 years. I dont know if its coming back because I got off the medicine or just that I am having a relapse but I have to honestly tell you that those years in between when I was taking it were the best years of my life. Just be VERY careful not to take this in larger doses.

Side Effects :
sleepiness, addiction It really helped me for what I was taking it for but it was very difficult to stop.

I hope this information will be useful to others,
Brian Lane

ativan said...

I was prescribed Ativan for anxiety due to working in a high stress job (prison). Once during a riot at work I had my first ever panic attack, my heart rate was so high that the on call nurse said if I hadn't taken Ativan I would have ended up in the ER. However I started treatment with Effexor XR and that has ceased all my anxiety, so I have recently been using the Ativan to help me sleep, and it works fine to help me relax.